We are trying hard to settle into a predictable release pattern for you. While we aren’t following it to the letter, we are trying our best to use Semantic Versioning for Matador core and extension releases. So when we added functions intended for public use, our minor release became a major one.
That said, don’t let the “major” release tag fool you, 3.2.0 is mostly a minor bugfix release that includes one qualifying change to make it seem bigger than it is. That is a set of new public functions around making it easier for developers who integrate Matador into your theme to access Job Listing taxonomy terms. For example, the categories or industries from the job, or the skills required.
In the bug fix realm, where most of our heavy lifting occurred, we fixed 14 bugs that were discovered since 3.1.0 and 2 that we had carry over from before 3.1.0, for a total of 16. The two biggest bugfixes were around a conflict caused when another plugin loaded the same vendor library as us and one around candidate and recruiter email notifications not sending out.
We also got to take a pass at some UI improvements, and you’ll see a few refinements in the Settings, including another occurrence of the Bullhorn bull to make it clear when Matador actions including reaching out to Bullhorn. We also added new help text and relabeled an option so that it made its consequence on your workflow more clear.
Full changelog is below, but before we go, I want to make clear that we are aware two more high-priority issues that we are actively working on as we speak:
First up, is for clients with many jobs (in excess of 250), we are finding that Matador may timeout when the user conducts a manual sync. This timeout is actually a 100% user interface issue, as the sync continues until it finishes, but its not a good experience for the user. It also cause a user to “try again”, which may result in two syncs running at the same time. This can cause jobs to be duplicated in Matador depending on when these two syncs are run. We have a solution, but its still in development.
Second up, is one around Structured data and Google for Jobs optimization. We recently learned that Google “doesn’t like” it when we delete a job that has been closed from your site. We know our optimization for Google for Jobs is a huge benefit to your sites, so the last thing we want is for Google to be unhappy about this. Their guidance recommends we leave an “artifact” in place so that job seekers finding your job board through Google for Jobs won’t encounter a 404. This artifact will provide dialogue that the position has been closed, and direct users to search for other jobs inside your site. We are working on an update to Matador that creates this behavior, and should release it side-by-side our solution for the first mentioned ongoing issue.
- New Template Helper matador_get_job_terms for getting a array of terms from 1 or all Matador taxonomies.
- New Template Helper matador_get_job_terms_list for getting a formatted string of terms from a job’s taxonomy in various formats. Uses a new template ‘job-terms-list.php’ and introduces 6 new actions (matador_job_terms_list_before, matador_job_terms_list_before_terms, matador_job_terms_list_before_each, matador_job_terms_list_after_each,matador_job_terms_list_after_terms, and matador_job_terms_list_after) plus one new filter (matador_job_terms_list_separator ) to support customization.
- Added filter ‘matador_bullhorn_source_description’ to allow users to customize how Matador lists the “Source” of the job submission.
- Added filter ‘matador_recruiter_email_subject_no_title’ to allow for adjusting of subject sent to recruiter if not linked to a job.
- Improved the behavior of matador_is_current_term() to also return true when on a taxonomy archive page.
- New Template file for Admin Notifications when Bullhorn Connection needs user intervention.
- Fixed a major issue where certain candidate and recruiter notifications were not being sent when they should’ve.
- Added code to prevent conflicts when a vendor library is loaded by another plugin or theme after Matador loads. This changes makes existing conflict prevention methods more robust and fool-proof.
- Fixed bug where, when called directly, matador_the_job_field could throw an error if certain optional arguments were not passed.
- Fixed a bug where, in the default jobs-taxonomies-lists.php template, a class for the term markup was being made with the title and not slug, creating invalid HTML and not useful classes.
- Fixed a bug where, in Settings, a checkbox type settings wouldn’t save when all checkboxes are unchecked.
- Fixed a bug where, when both a Candidate and Recruiter email were being sent, the Recruiter email listed the job applied for twice.
- Added the Bullhorn Bull icon to the “Manual Sync” button in settings, providing a visual cue to users that this action communicates with Bullhorn.
- Removed check marks next to checkboxes. Because that didn’t make any sense.
- Revised wording around the “Classify Applicants” setting and added a long description explaining its impact on a Candidate and Job Submission, hoping to add further clarity to how the setting affects the workflow of various users’ firms.
- Added a (hopefully temporary) advisory to the Authorize step of the Connection Assistant to warn users of a known issue when logging in for the first time. In the future, we hope to resolve this issue with our Bullhorn partners.
- Moved templates for emails from /templates/ into /templates/emails. Renamed the templates. Some clients with customized email templates may want to double check if this impacted them, but given these templates were only available for all for less than two weeks, we feel safe making this adjustment now.
- Refined error logging messages during certain Bullhorn login attempts.
- Fixed spelling error on an Application Form Field
- Fixed spelling/grammar errors & formatting in Readme